Monday, March 31, 2008

Vanity Fair Spread: Madonnarama



The spread for Vanity Fair with some really beautiful photography by Steven Meisel has been published. Here are some of the things M had to say (again):

BRITNEY SPEARS: “Yes, I know. I know exactly what you’re going to say. It’s very painful. Which leads us back to our question: When you think about the way people treat each other in Africa, about witchcraft and people inflicting cruelty and pain on each other, then come back here and, you know, people taking pictures of people when they’re in their homes, being taken to hospitals, or suffering, and selling them, getting energy from them, that’s a terrible infliction of cruelty. So who’s worse off? You know what I mean?”

THE PAPARAZZI: “The paparazzi are out of control. I haven’t been to Los Angeles in quite a while, and I don’t watch television here or in England, and I was told there’s now a television show where the paparazzi are the stars of the show—is that true? That they film each other doing paparazzi jobs? Which gives them more fuel. I usually found that type kept their distance—they definitely do in England, because it’s illegal to photograph children. But that’s not how it is here. They get this close, and don’t care how much they scare your children. Being famous has changed a lot, because now there’s so many outlets, between magazines, TV shows, and the Internet, for people to stalk and follow you. We created the monster.”

WRITING AND DIRECTING HER FIRST FILM: “I’ve been inspired by films since I started dancing, and I’m married to a filmmaker, and I think it was one of my secret desires, but I was afraid to just say, ‘I want to be a director.’ But then one day I said, O.K., stop dreaming and do it. But I didn’t want to do it the Hollywood way, and talk through agents. I decided it all had to be generated by me, so I wrote it…. It was my film school.”

HOW NEW YORK HAS CHANGED: “It’s not the exciting place it used to be. It still has great energy; I still put my finger in the socket. But it doesn’t feel alive, cracking with that synergy between the art world and music world and fashion world that was happening in the 80s. A lot of people died.”

THE MUSIC BUSINESS: “Well, there’s one thing you can’t download and that’s a live performance. And I know how to put on a show, and enjoy performing, and I’ll always have that.”

HER LONG CAREER: “Honestly, it’s not something I sit around ruminating about. Who is my role model and how long can I keep this going? I just move around and do different things and come back to music, try making films and come back to music, write children’s books and come back to music.”

HOW HER MOVIES ARE DIFFERENT FROM HER HUSBAND, GUY RITCHIE’S: “We make different kinds of movies. I don’t have the technical knowledge he has. He’s got a vision, and his films are very testosterone-fueled. Mine are much more from a female point of view, and I can’t help but be autobiographical in everything I do.”

HOW HAVING CHILDREN CHANGES YOU: “If you have children, you know you’re responsible for somebody. You realize you are being imitated; your belief systems and priorities have a direct influence on these children, who are like flowers in a garden. So you start to second-guess everything you value, and the suffering of other children becomes much more intolerable.”

HER FAVORITE CHILDREN’S BOOKS: “Winnie the Pooh, Pippi Longstocking, Horrid Henry.”

THE LOSS OF HER MOTHER [AT AGE SIX]: “You’re aware of a sense of loss, and feel a sense of abandonment. Children always think they did something wrong when their parents disappear.”





No comments: