Sunday, February 1, 2009

Val Thorens 2009



We're back from a wonderfull week high up in the french Alps. We arrived in a snowy and foggy Val Thorens on Saturday in a very beautiful appartment with five bedrooms, two bathrooms, a sauna and enough places to sit in the evening (which is a rarity in France somehow).



The next morning the sky was clearblue, the sun was shining and the fresh snow made it a perfect condition to get my groove back. I always need half a day to get used to skiing again, since I only go once a year.



This year we went with a big group. Some of them already joined us in the past, some were new. But we all got along really well. It was a mixture of guys and girls, beginners and advanced skiers and surprisingly only one straight person (my sister).


On day three there was heavy fog so we had to ski from pole to pole in order not to fall into cliffs and stay in our slope. But when we took the cablecar to the glacier we all moist our pants a little for we saw the most beautiful thing ever: hundreds of peeks towering high over the clouds, a clear blue sky and snow glittering like Mariah Carey's film flop. It really was an amazing moment which I won't forget about ever.



Peter took his first lessons this week together with Parand and Jeroen. They started on monday and in the last few days they even joined us on some of the blue slopes. I was amazed how quick they learned a beautiful technique! And skiing next to Peter made me really proud of him! It really felt great to be on the slopes together for the first time in our 15 years.




I really had a fantastic week and I really love the area that covers three different valleys with all their own atmosphere. Our valley being high up the mountains with lots of space, Meribel with its beautiful slopes between the trees and Courchevel with the shorter slopes and the beautiful wide views. I guess my favourite slopes were in Orelle, on the other side of the Val Thorens mountains. Very quite, good red and black slopes and good off-piste possibilities.




Only downside is that one week is over before you know it. I have so much energy when I am in the mountains, I really need more time. And for Peter and the other beginners it would also be nice to extend the stay with one more week so they can get even better. Next year we'll definately book two weeks!



And since we all took little clips with our many Canon Ixus cameras, here's a little compilation of most of them:

Some of the pictures are taken by Parand.
Got your folder of pictures here Parand and really was amazed!

4 comments:

MAC said...

Once again I'm totally green. It looks like you had a fabulous time. Glad to have you back!!!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! Great pictures from what sounds like a great week.

ennalegov said...

Hmmmm, nice nice nice! I want to go back!!!!!

J@v@JuNKo said...

Glad to have you back! Looks like you had a real good time!! What beautiful scenery, it reminds me of Whistler! you HAVE to email me that Madonna remix please!!!! its awesome! Your photos are su-weeeeeet! i'm jealous of your adventure!