Saturday, November 5, 2011

Just Visiting



Today my sister, my dad and I went to jail. We're no criminals. Believe me! Our only crime is being way too beautiful. No, today, all our jails opened their doors for the public and my dad was fast enough this year to get tickets for this event.

Unfortunately it wasn't allowed to take pictures, but I was really impressed by this visit. We saw the whole building while the murderers, rapists and thieves were in their cells all day (don't worry, they were provided with a free dvd to spend their time today).

Many people say Dutch jails are more like hotels. Ask them again after a visit like I did. This is no hotel. For sure! Apart from the rooms, which are small and scarce, the criminals give up every minute of freedom during the day. They're being lived. One hour outside, 20 hours of labour a week on an hour-rate of € 0,76. So they have a weekly income of € 12,50. And yes, they have tv in their rooms, but they have to rent the television set for € 3,00 a week.



I know Dutch prison is nothing like a prison in the USA or even worse, in Latin America or the Middle East, but after my visit today I can really say that being in prison is no fun when there's no Christopher Meloni to share a cell with.