Saturday, March 28, 2009

Going to Church



Last week I got an ad on gmail asking if I wanted to live in a church. Ofcourse I want to live in a church, so I visited the site, ordered the brochure and really liked what I received. Today we drove all the way to Made, in the western part of The Netherlands and we fell in love with this project.




A church which lost its function as a house for God and has been redesigned into 11 appartments. All very different from each other, but all very well designed as square boxes in this gothic/roman building. Most of the appartments had great old features, old stones varied with clean white walls. Because of the darkness of the building, a lot of walls were made out of glass, so the spaces looked big and open.


Good thing this project is built in an area of The Netherlands we don't want to live, because otherwise we would have been very nervous right now about buying or not. So we just enjoyed this fantastic building and drove home to our own great appartment.


6 comments:

T.E.W. said...

I love stories like this one, where they take a building and give it a new lease on life.

MAC said...

I seen a few TV shows where people live in repurposed churches. Being that I was raised a Catholic, I don't think I could live in one of these homes. Due to the guilt factor, I would have to go outside to have sex or jack-off.

J@v@JuNKo said...

omg! i want to live in church! It would be fun!! i love these photos!! I love the architecture!!

J@v@JuNKo said...

that staircase has got to go though, barfness...

daan said...

The staircase could have been made out of scquare solid material as well, but somehow it looked okay in this very high space. It used a lot of space and was still transparent enough.

I hope you guys watching these things on tv are referring to Grand Designs, one of my favourite tv-shows with one of my favourite hosts.

Anonymous said...

i spent far too long looking at floor plans in this church. Apartment 11 would be just fine by me.