Thursday, November 12, 2009

Equus



Tonight was the second part of my birthday present. We went to see Equus by the Dutch National Theatre Company. And it was.... well.... different. First of all I loved the story. But the play was a bit more traditional to the plays we normally see. And the acting was really not good. There were some exceptions, but overall I found it really weird to see this level of acting at such a big theatre company.

Ofcourse there was nudity in it. And I really have no problem with nudity if it has a function. But when people just pull down their pants and reveal a cock in a scene where it is totally irrelevant, that really turns me off. Same goes for characters who hardly have a decent part in the play. Keep your clothes on and say your lines next time!

But then there were the horses. Portrayed by 3 beautiful guys. Gracious, quiet and in the background. But their moves and bodies were really beautiful. Maybe a bit too beautiful and we got distracted by them!

2 comments:

Tonnya said...

Haven't seen it live yet but I really enjoyed reading the play. Gratuitous nudity in theatre isn't so hot.

daan said...

Well, I know there have been really great performances of this play in the past, so I guess it was just bad luck for us.