Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Meeting my Killer



So this is him. This is the bastard that eventually will kill me. Hard to believe, because I always thought it would be something black and dark and evil. I didn't expect it to be so beautiful!

This my friends, is a single cell grown from a culture of lung epithelial carcicinoma cells. Also known as lung cancer. My grandparents died of it. I'm still a bad-ass smoker, so I will probably end up with it as well.

Found this beauty on a website with the most amazing medical photography of 2009. It's the end of the year, so there are lots and lots of best-of lists all over the internet.

8 comments:

tyeti said...

Well... Has it got a first name? Casper the Happy Cancer? Jemma the Lurid Carcinoma? I'll have to find names for my own little troops. Peter, Roger and Spencer? And I'll also have to ask them for an ID photo.
;-))
Terribly beautiful image, anyway.

daan said...

I really think naming these bastards is a good way to deal with them. See them as these beautiful creatures that just have a lousy job.

So Peter, Roger and Spencer? Which one is your latest?

I can't name mine Peter, that would not be nice to my own Peter. Mine would probably be named Alexander or Tye, two of the people in the world I hate the most.

tyeti said...

OOps ! Sorry about Peter. I henceforth name my Peter (!!!) hmm... Let's see... Hunter! He is the newcommer, so he won't mind being re-christened. Will you Hunter? ... No, he won't.
And he will go from hunter to hunted starting on the coming Tuesday. Ha!
Goodnight Daan!
PS; You know,, if you could ever avoid meeting Alexander/Tye, that would be better, you know... (that's my moralizing self speaking.)

daan said...

January 23rd will be my next attempt to keep Tye/Alexander out of my life;)

Good luck with Hunter next tuesday!

tyeti said...

Thanks!
Let's send Hunter and Alexander/Tye where they belong; oblivion!
Over and out for now.

ennalegov said...

Gosh, I am looking forward to receive this beauty, unfortunate now that i will quit. ;-)

J@v@JuNKo said...

didn't your mother ever say "stay away from strangers" you better not even get to know this thing's name!! :(

Yvonne said...

I hate the disease, but this picture is absolutely stunning. That they are even able to take a clear photo of something this tiny. Unbelievable.