Monday, December 7, 2009

Stephan Eicher - Venez Danser

Peter hates his voice, but loves his arrangements. I love both and since Peter was out singing tonight, I played Stephan Eicher really loud.

I discovered Stephan Eicher back in 1988, on one of my vacations in Switzerland when I was still a young blond god. It was one of my first musicians I didn't discover by the videos they made so that was pretty new to me back then. I guess it was around the same time I really got interested in all the swiss dialects, so I was glad to have found a swiss singer using his own dialect. A few albums later, Stephan Eicher moved to France and hardly ever used his swiss dialect anymore, but I keep buying his albums anyway.

Oh, and he was one of the very first artists I saw in concert. I went with my sister, we missed the last train from Amsterdam and we hitchhiked back to the east. Very responsible behaviour, two teenagers hitchhiking in the middle of the night. Our first ride was driven by two french guys on their way back to Paris with a load of weed in their glove compartment. And hurray for us, they already smoked half of it and stopped in the middle of the highway to let us out to get our next ride in Utrecht. Good memories!

2 comments:

ennalegov said...

It was my very first concert ever! Good memories too!

tyeti said...

Stephan Eicher's voice used to give me the creeps too, at the beginning. His heavy Swiss accent sounded yuck: too. But his work grew on me. The quality of his texts too. I have never seen him on stage, though. Hey, I'm going to listen to him! Thank you Daan.