Thursday, February 9, 2012

Swiss Bündner Gerstensuppe



When I think of cold winters I often think about food. And a recipe I never made myself, but keeps popping in my head is Swiss Bündner Gerstensuppe (Barley Soup With Dried Beef). I remember eating this as a child. Probably after a day of skiing in Switzerland and without having eaten it for years I remember the taste very well!

What you need:
  • 2 Medium Onion -- Chopped
  • 2 Small Leeks -- Chopped
  • 3 Medium Carrot -- Chopped
  • 1 Small Celeriac -- Chopped
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 6 Ounces Dried Beef -- Chopped
  • 1 Cup Barley
  • 2 Tablespoons Flour
  • 8 Cups Beef Stock
  • Salt And Pepper -- To Taste
  • 1 Large Egg
  • 8 Ounces Cream -- Optional
  • Parsley -- Chopped

How to make it:


Saute onions, leeks, carrots and celeriac in oil until soft. Add meat and barley, saute for 5 minutes. Stir in flour and stock. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer for 1 hour. Mix egg and cream into the soup off of the heat. Bring back to a simmer and sprinkle with parsley and serve.

The cold will continue here in The Netherlands, so I am definately gonna make this dish soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! I will have to try this!

J@v@JuNKo said...

I'll place an order for two please!